I split my time between two states: where will I get a divorce?

Posted on Jul 6, 2018 by Christopher Pitts

In today’s mobile society, it is becoming increasingly common for individuals to have two or more residences – often in more than one state. Many people work in one state – spending their week days and night in one city – then go “home” to another state for the weekend.

In other cases, one spouse will live in one state – say, California – and the other will live in Washington. This is a common scenario when both spouses are professionals who need to relocate in order to maintain a career.

In both situations, complexities can arise when a married couple decides to end their marriage.

We often get asked this question: When spouses live separately and decide to divorce, which state has jurisdiction?

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to this question. There are a number of factors that need to be considered in a multi-jurisdictional divorce case. Working with an attorney who has specific experience handling these types of cases is key.

  • Do you split your time between two states?
  • Do you and your spouse live in different states?

We can help determine which state has jurisdiction over your divorce case. We have offices in California and Washington, and we routinely represent clients who have residences in both states. We handle all related issues as well, including child custody and support.

To schedule a consultation at one of our office locations (Seattle, Santa Monica, Bainbridge or Kirkland), please complete our online contact form.